Recent comments

icon

Since I'm a software architect and a web developer, I get often approached by people with their new ideas. In most cases, for some quality feedback, and on lucky days, for a rough quote about the costs of such a project. These people are usually very secretive about what they have, making me explain to them that it's far from my interest to steal that idea. One time, a guy even made me sign a Non-disclosure agreement before I could make him an offer for a service he was thinking about. After bargaining with me, he chose a different contractor, but ended up doing nothing, at least to my knowledge. He was obviously focused on the wrong things, instead of getting feedback from as many sources as possible, he was investing energy into bureaucracy and protection of his idea. Let me tell something to him and all others out there: Focus on your product, and don't worry about me stealing your idea. I won't. I have at least five reasons not to.

...more
written 16.2.2014 18:42 CET on chronolog
21041 views   •   3 likes   •   11 comments  •   Like   •
Hi my name is khejhub i m a professional graphics designer we will create a creative logo design and illustrations my hobby is design logo branding and creative company we are deliverd quick service and 24 hour online . Thanks Regard KHEJHUB
commented 16.2.2014 18:42 CET by khejhub
I've started a site which banks on the concepts you've laid out here. Give it a look; I think openness and collaboration are the best way forward. http://www.wereincahoots.ca/
commented 11.2.2013 10:47 CET by Cahoots
I bet the Winklevoss twins would agree with this post...
commented 6.2.2013 17:58 CET by rick
Personally, I'm against software patents. Besides, this post was intended mostly for early-stage startups, who usually don't have the resources to file patents and are building their proof-of-concept MVPs.
commented 6.2.2013 9:42 CET by Stritar
so you think people who apply for patent are idiot
commented 6.2.2013 8:14 CET by jm
Right on.
commented 5.2.2013 19:49 CET by jro
I personally thought the watermarked photo was a hilarious choice. It was intentional, right?
commented 5.2.2013 19:48 CET by jro
Hi JD, I thought my clever ironic joke was obvious. :) If I would steal an image, I would take one without the watermark...
commented 5.2.2013 19:43 CET by Stritar
Having a watermarked (and hence stolen) image from iStockPhoto does not do you any favors in proving your headline.
commented 5.2.2013 19:24 CET by JD
Thank you sir! :)
commented 5.2.2013 16:15 CET by Stritar
icon

Lately, we've been seriously considering developing a new version of our framework. This one is already a few years old, and besides other problems it's facing, it lacks one very important thing - it's not suited for SaaS (Software as a Service) applications. Often, we would like to host a few simple projects (like multiple web pages) in a single database, but we are also thinking about developing a product / service, which we could offer to multiple clients. Making a product for different clients that would live in the same database is not simple, and requires an architecture that is both rigid and flexible, micro-useful and scalable.

...more
written 21.7.2013 19:51 CET on chronolog
1702 views   •   2 comments  •   Like   •
Hi Gregor, thanks for the comment / question. First, you have to understand this is meant fror product solutions, where instances aren't very different from one-another (or non-crucial systems such as CMS). Of course, you have to be careful with such an architecture, so the core should, once it's done, barely change. On the other hand, custom things should be solved using 1:1 or separate tables. As for managing multiple tables / databases, we have this kind of a situation now, and starting a new project, not no mention updates, are a pain in the ass. It's much easier if you solve this on the database level - adding a new client record, everything works. But yes, you should be very careful, the security is crucial, so it will probably require around two times as much effort to make the features bullet-proof, compared to a single application.
commented 21.7.2013 19:51 CET by Stritar
I barely have a slight idea about your data model, so please forgive my ignorance. But I can't help to comment anyway :) So, if you evolve your schema due to one client's requirements, you have a chance to bring each and every customer's site down? I'm always very careful with one db fits all thinking. Second thing is, if you have a common set of data, used by (almost) all customers, wouldn't it be safer and easier to manage by just puting it in a separate table or even a separate DB? I don't even dare to go into the security considerations :)
commented 21.7.2013 19:16 CET by Gregor Borosa
icon

Kickstarter got my attention back in 2010, when Diaspora successfully raised $50k. This is the amount they required to develop an open source alternative to Facebook, where people would have full control over their posts and multimedia. It was a good idea, but too complex to easily implement, and the guys never managed to make it fully work. But there are other projects who did manage go big, making Kickstarter and crowd-founding an everyday thing. Today, numerous ideas, products, and even movies are financed this way, while statistics tell an amazing story: in 2012, Kickstarter pledges topped $300 million.

...more
written 10.6.2013 9:51 CET on chronolog
1120 views   •   2 comments  •   Like   •
Cool, thanks!
commented 10.6.2013 9:51 CET by Stritar
By the way, there is a cool site for successfully funded Kickstarter projects at http://outgrow.me/ ;)
commented 10.6.2013 9:46 CET by Klyemann
icon

What a great year for content! In October 2012, Red Bull Stratos set a benchmark for what can be done with branded content. The jump was watched live on YouTube by 8 million people. A few months later, Gangam style established a new standard for how far online virality can take you. It became the first video to reach 1 billion views on YouTube. Powered by the internet. These two extreme cases probably won't be topped for quite some time (internet time, that is) and are clear leaders in their categories. But lately, I've noticed two other great examples that clearly show something else - where commercial content (promotion) is headed. It's all about delivering experiences, which are created and amplified by digital marketing.

...more
written 15.5.2013 10:02 CET on chronolog
3187 views   •   1 like   •   2 comments  •   Like   •
Thanks dude! :)
commented 15.5.2013 10:02 CET by Stritar
icon

A few days ago, I wrote a blog post about innovative blog designs and solutions that are emerging everywhere. I think it's a great post, it offers a very detailed overview of new fascinating concepts and features that are driven by new ways we consume content. But right before publishing, I've decided to change the post's title from "Dissecting the innovative blogs..." to "UX analysis of the innovative blogs...". I did this because I wanted to include "user experience" and "analysis" in the blog's title and url for better SEO performance, but this turned out to be a huge mistake.

...more
written 1.4.2013 14:57 CET on chronolog
5746 views   •   2 comments  •   Like   •
Hi Pete, thank you for your comment. I wanted point out social media optimization is getting more important than SEO. Example: I once wrote a post that Apple has more cash than Slovenia's GDP. Not much technical optimization, no backlinks, just a lot of social virality on that post. It was on the first page of Google "Apple Slovenia" for a year or two.
commented 1.4.2013 14:57 CET by Stritar
I'm sorry but you have a few details wrong in this post. If you're concerned about referencing keywords, you could do it in body copy as opposed to the post title. Also, rankings are largely influenced by the number of sites linking to a post, alongside on-page keyword references, well-built sites and user experience. Social signals are just a catalyst - not a direct factor.
commented 1.4.2013 14:30 CET by PeteCampbell
icon

The iPad 3 is coming out in March, and like its predecessors, it will surely be a huge success. But every time a new generation of an Apple gadget comes out, the previous ones flood the secondary markets, usually followed by massive price drops. Like iPads 1 today, iPads 2 will probably be quite inexpensive in the following weeks, when we'll have a new item on our with list. This may not be a really a big problem for Apple, since their business model of ultra-fast product cycles obviously works, but still, the idea of being able to sell more than one product of the same line to a single person could hold quite a few benefits. Let's take a look.

...more
written 7.3.2013 4:38 CET on chronolog
1786 views   •   6 comments  •   Like   •
I recently bought a second iPad and have been using one to take notes while the other runs a presentation. Has worked pretty well but would be better if there was more cross device functionality. You can share web content with Chrome which works well and is a good first step.
commented 7.3.2013 4:38 CET by Russell
Love the idea. I'm a board secretary, and it would be rally great to see the board papers on one screen leaving the second screen free for me to take notes
commented 30.6.2012 6:46 CET by doug
Thanks Matt, it's nice to see other people noticed potential in such an installation too.
commented 2.5.2012 22:45 CET by Stritar
I was just thinking about this very same idea. I think it would be great. It would obviously take a whole redesign, both on the OS front and in the device itself. Also I think it would benefit from being a full flat panel image rather than the black borders on the sides. And I would say, it would make more sense on a smaller version than current size of the iPad. Thus making it lighter, but also more handleable. Like the DS of Mac pretty much. But yeah I guess apps would need to accomadate a user either having either 1 or 2 iPads. It should be an option. Use all the Smart Cover stuff to just magnetize them together. Each iPad could also be different too. Like the front cover, and the back cover iPad. Back has a more flat design for the desk, the front is more curved. Heck they could just make MacBooks with a Touch Screen instead of a keyboard...
commented 29.4.2012 15:55 CET by Matt
Thanks! :)
commented 27.2.2012 14:35 CET by Stritar
Congratulations: Dumbest thing I've read all day.
commented 27.2.2012 14:33 CET by andy
icon

A few days ago, during the Mobile World Congress, Firefox announced its mobile OS, which will be available soon. Teaming up with 18 carriers and 4 announced manufacturers (plus Sony), the release was probably bigger than expected. A few high-profile web services, including AirBnb, Disney, Facebook, SoundCloud and Twitter, also joined the hype by including their apps to the new marketplace. Analysts quickly put down their bets, some supporting the effort, while others denying the possibility of its success. One of the most fascinating things about the new OS is that it's going to be entirely web based, the operating system itself, the apps, everything. Unlocking the power of the web, as they put it. And to be honest, I can buy that.

...more
written 4.3.2013 16:48 CET on chronolog
1885 views   •   6 comments  •   Like   •
Holy shit Mike, you are right! \o/ Apologies to Midnas as well.
commented 4.3.2013 16:48 CET by Stritar
Sorry, but there is a console, network, basically everything. You have no idea what you are talking about.
commented 4.3.2013 16:41 CET by Mike
Sorry, but the new included debugger tool by FF is useless. No console, no network, nothing. Oh, it has the 3D view. :)
commented 4.3.2013 11:37 CET by Stritar
"I don't know why Firefox hasn't offered a similar too" It already has sucha tool, if you can't see it then that's because Firebug overrides it.
commented 4.3.2013 10:58 CET by Midnas
Awesome! :)
commented 4.3.2013 8:59 CET by Stritar
I played little bit with Nokia Firefox OS developer Preview Mobile phone on MWC. I was not impressed, but it's nice. Together with Nokia design, it works nicely :) check: http://sdrv.ms/13yECoN
commented 3.3.2013 21:49 CET by Kreso